click on map for a larger image...
Note: The Old Indian Boundary Line marked the northern limit
of the Military Tract (a tract set aside for veterans of the War of
1812), and was the boundary between American and Indian lands prior to
the settlement of the 1832 Black Hawk War. The line was established in
accordance with the 1816 Treaty with the Ottawas, Chippewas and
Pottawatomies and was surveyed in 1819. It extended from the south end
of Lake Michigan to the Mississippi River at the mouth of the Rock River.
(Matson, N., Maps and Sketches of Bureau County, Chicago, 1867, Second
Edition, pg. 65.)
Commentary and notes by Patricia L. Goitein, Editor, Galena Trail
All rights reserved
Webmaster: Janine Crandell