Freedom Twp., Carroll County to
Elizabeth, Jo Daviess County
click on map for a larger image...
Note: The 1830 alignment was surveyed by Levi Warner
in 1833. The survey was filed June 29, 1833, and is in the Illinois
State Archives. Warner’s survey notes and an account book are in the
manuscript room of the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library (formerly
the Illinois State Historical Library) in Springfield. A second set of
survey notes and his survey equipment are preserved in the collection of
the Polo Historical Society.
The alignment that Warner surveyed in 1833 did not pass Kellogg’s Old
Place at Kellogg’s Grove, probably because Kellogg no longer lived
there. Oliver Kellogg moved to Buffalo Grove in 1831, but his Old Place
continued to be a landmark and camping site. Poole notes on this and map
#8, that a road to and from the Old Place continued to be used. It
passed through T27N, R4E (Pleasant Valley) of Jo Daviess County and
joined Warner’s surveyed alignment in Sec 6 of the same township.
Kellogg’s Grove is now the site of the Black Hawk Monument.
Commentary and notes by Patricia L. Goitein, Editor, Galena Trail
All rights reserved
Webmaster: Janine Crandell